Friday, November 6, 2009

kelly's tour - thanksgiving traditions

My sweet hubby is from Costa Rica...and they do not celebrate Thanksgiving (given that it is an American holiday and all).  So last year was his first time to ever enjoy a big Thanksgiving lunch!  Every year for tgiving my parents start cooking a big meal in the early morning.  We normally don't eat till around 2PM.  My sister flies in town from New York and my aunt Debra comes over (and sometimes my aunt Mary Pat from Chicago will come in town!) and we all gather round at my parents house in the country.  We watch the Macy's Parade, drink wine and enjoy the yummy smells coming from the kitchen.  We always have turkey, ham, (from Heavenly Ham) spinach & artichoke casserole (delicious family recipe), mashed potatoes, dressing, buttered rolls, corn, and black eyed peas.  And of course we have pecan pie and caramel cake for dessert (sidenote - my grandmother Nannie used to make the best homemade caramel cakes that I've ever tasted).  The rest of the day we lounge around with the family and try not to be too comatose from way over-eating.  Over the years we have spent Thanksgiving day in a few different places.  We have spent it in Chicago with Mary Pat and Montana with my older brother, Trey.  I love traveling for holidays because no matter where we go it always feels like home if we're together.  Family is all that matters :)

1 comment:

noahandlylasmommi said...

I love your blog design and your wedding photo's are beautiful!!