Friday, October 16, 2009

latino in america

A Latino Nation
"By 2050, the U.S. Latino population is expected to nearly triple. This October, CNN explores how Latinos are reshaping our communities and culture and forcing a nation of immigrants to rediscover what it means to be an American."  That was a blurb about the new series, Latino in America, premiering on CNN next Wednesday.  The link I have posted above is all about this new series, and it particularly focuses on how the last name "Garcia" has become as common as the last name "Smith" in the United States.  Of course, the reason all of this interests me so much is because my sweet husband is Latino.  And he takes pride in his culture, as he should.  And he wants our children to know his home country and to speak his native language.  And so do I.  Another reason I feel so passionately about recognizing and accepting the Latino culture in America is because Latinos are the backbone of our nation.  Whether or not you choose to accept this does not change the fact that it is true.  And I am talking about all Latinos - immigrants, citizens, residents, everyone.  I want to embrace my husband's culture.  And I wish America would learn to embrace it too.  And, who knows?  Maybe Spanish will be the national language before we know it.  Have you ever been to Miami?  If so, you know that it is really hard to find your way around without knowing at least a little Spanish.  There are so many cities like Miami throughout the United States where Latinos are becoming the majority.  So you can either accept it...or move to Canada.  Just kidding.  But I do take this very seriously.  Americans are made up of every race, every color, and every culture.  I love my Latinos, and you should too :)

Pura Vida!

1 comment:

Sarah Denley said...

I would love for AP to learn another language when she is still very young (I heard it was WAY easier that way). And I think the special looks fascinating.